Recipe: 20 Minute Paleo Meals: Marjoram Chicken Skewers
This quick and easy meal will please both kids and grown-ups. Chicken is marinated in a tasty mixture of marjoram, tomato and garlic and served with a side of green salad and broccoli. I used chicken tenderloins because the meat is very succulent and soft but chicken breast or pork can also be used.
Cook’s notes: Marjoram is a hardy herb that can be used fresh or cooked and is of the same family as oregano. It has camphor-like aromatic green and grey leaves and combines flavours of oregano, pines and citrus. It’s popular in the Middle East, Turkey and Cyprus but can be used in many Western dishes. Oregano and marjoram can be interchanged and the flavours go well with Mediterranean vegetables, tomatoes, lemon, wine, garlic, olive oil, fish, duck, mushrooms, most meats, potatoes and spinach. Learn more about culinary herbs & spices in my downloadable guide.
More 20 minute paleo meals: Red Curry Snapper & Ginger Honey Carrots
- 1 tbsp dried marjoram (or freshly chopped)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 8 chicken tenderloins + bamboo skewers
- ghee for cooking (coconut oil or duck fat can be used instead)
- 4 cups rocket or other green leaf salad + lemon and olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 tsp butter or olive oil
- 0-10 mins: Combine dried marjoram with chopped garlic, tomato paste, olive oil, salt and pepper and rub over chicken tenderloins skewered on bamboo sticks. The sticks are optional, you can simply marinate chicken strips. Set aside for for a few minutes. Place a saucepan of water to boil.
- 10-20 mins: Heat a little ghee or coconut oil in a large frying or grill pan. Cook chicken skewers or strips for 3-4 minutes on each side. At the same, cook broccoli in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and mix rocket salad leaves with lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Toss cooked broccoli with some butter or ghee and a little sea salt.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 2
If you like this, check out my Eat Drink Paleo Cookbook for more delicious paleo recipes, introduction to paleo nutrition and philosophy and a handy inventory of foods to focus on and avoid. Available on my website and on Amazon.com.
Still can't find what you're looking for?