Recipe: Asian omelette with mushrooms & string beans
This Chinese omelette inspired meal is just as good for dinner as it is for breakfast. I like to spice up my breakfast omelettes with new flavours and textures and, having a little obsession with Asian flavours, I have to say that this is a total winner.
This recipe is designed for one person but you can simply multiply the ingredients and make the egg omelette in batches. Coconut aminos is a sweet soy like sauce made from fermented coconut nectar. It’s soy free and has a pleasant salty/sweet taste. I use Niulife brand of coconut aminos, which you can find in health food stores and on their website or check out available brands in your area. Gluten free tamari sauce with a little honey can be used instead. Other vegetables can be used such as diced cabbage, carrot strips, zucchini, asparagus, broccolini, red or yellow peppers, bean sprouts.
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil + 1/2 tsp ghee or butter
- (or 1 tsp coconut oil)
- Handful of fresh string beans, tails cut off and sliced
- 3-4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp finely diced fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, finally diced
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- (or 1 tbsp Tamari sauce + 1/2 tsp honey)
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- Diced fresh cucumber to serve with
- Heat coconut oil and butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add string beans, mushrooms and ginger. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic, fish sauce and coconut aminos. Cook for a further minute or two, then drizzle with sesame oil and remove to a plate.
- While mushrooms and beans are cooking, whisk two eggs with a pinch of salt and curry powder.
- Pour the egg mixture into a hot, empty frying pan (add a little more coconut oil if dry). Swirl the egg mixture around to form a flat round omelette shape. Cook for 2 minutes until just slightly wet in the middle. Gently fold over and turn the heat off.
- Fold the beans and mushrooms inside the omelette on a plate and serve with a side of fresh cucumber and some fresh herbs such as coriander/cilantro or mint and chopped green onion.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 1