This delicious sheet pan paleo meal is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Succulent chicken is roasted with mushrooms in a sticky Balsamic glaze sauce.
In this gorgeous sheet pan recipe, succulent chicken thighs are baked with earthy mushrooms and onions, and finished off with a caramelised, Balsamic glaze sauce. It’s a delicious and easy dinner, perfect for a week night meal.
I love to serve the baked chicken with some steamed or boiled greens tossed with lemon juice and olive oil or butter. Cauliflower rice would also go well with this protein main.
Personally, I prefer to use chicken thighs or tenderloins rather than breast as the meat is much more tender and juicy. Thighs are especially well suited to baking, as the breast meat can often get a little dry, if overcooked. You can, of course, use chicken breast meat instead.
I use Swiss brown mushrooms as they have a little more flavour but regular white button mushrooms will also work well. If you need to replace the mushrooms, I recommend diced peppers or cauliflower instead.
I am using aged Balsamic vinegar, which is slightly thicker and sweeter than the regular Balsamic. If you don’t have the aged variety, simply add a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup to the sauce. For a less sweet or Whole30 version, use regular Balsamic vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 chicken thighs (skin off, no bone), diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 150 g / 5-6 oz button mushrooms, halved and smaller ones left whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar (aged, ideally, or add 1 teaspoon of honey)
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- Handful of chopped spring onion, to garnish (optional, other herbs can also be used)
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Grease a flat sheet pan/oven tray with coconut oil.
- Scatter the chicken evenly on the tray. Season with half a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Top the chicken with onions and mushrooms (see image) and sprinkle with another half teaspoon of sea salt. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place the tray in the oven, middle shelf.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and stir the mushrooms and chicken through. Place back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small ball. Finally, remove the chicken again and drizzle evenly with the sauce. Stir through and bale for 5 more minutes, until the sauce is lightly caramelised and sticky.
- Prepare any side vegetables or a salad while the chicken is baking. Serve while hot.