Other ground meat like beef or chicken can be used in this recipe instead of lamb. Other hardy herbs like rosemary, thyme or dried sage can be used instead of fresh sage leaves. These are great for kids lunch boxes, just remove the nuts. Coconut aminos liquid is made from fermented coconut nectar and is similar in taste to sweet soy sauce. Gluten free Tamari sauce can be used as well.
For the filling
- ½ medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp ghee or butter (coconut oil can be also be used)
- 10–12 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp almond flakes or pine nuts, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 250–300 grams lamb mince (0.6 lbs ground lamb)
- 2/3 tsp sea salt and pepper
- About 14–15 medium button mushrooms such as cremini (not too small)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp macadamia oil or virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or Tamari sauce
- Pinch of sea salt
For the glaze
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- Dollop of ghee or butter
- Preheat oven to 200 °C/395 °F.
- In a medium frying pan, cook onion in butter or ghee for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Add sage leaves and almonds and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring a few times. Transfer to a bowl with raw lamb mince, garlic, salt and pepper and combine well with your hands until well incorporated.
- Remove the mushroom stumps by carefully twisting and pulling. Slice a paper-thin layer from the top of the mushrooms’ heads to make them more stable when sitting upside down. Combine balsamic vinegar with oil, coconut aminos and sea salt. Use a pastry brush or your fingers to coat the mushrooms with the marinade mix.
- Fill each mushroom cavity with about a tablespoon of lamb mixture. It should look like a little dome of meat sitting inside a mushroom. Place stuffed mushrooms on a foil or baking paper covered oven tray and transfer to the middle shelf of the oven. Roast for 22-25 minutes at 200 °C/395 °F.
- At around 20 minute mark, combine glaze ingredients in a small frying pan or saucepan and heat over medium heat until the liquid starts simmering. Turn the heat off and set aside.
- Remove mushrooms from the oven and brush the top of the meat with balsamic glaze before serving. Serve with your favourite vegetable side dish.