I like to think of this salad as a deconstructed BLT sandwich, where bread has been replaced with more nutritious and tastier prawns and avocado. It’s one of my regular go-to lunches, or a quick dinner on those nights when I don’t feel like spending too much time in the kitchen. Super easy and delicious.
Cook’s notes: I often use pre-cooked, frozen prawns for this recipe. I place frozen prawns in a bowl of hot water and let them thaw out for about 5-10 minutes. Alternatively, you can pick some cooked prawns from your deli or fishmonger, or cook up some raw prawns. Grilled chicken or steak can be used, if avoiding shellfish.Print
This recipe is for a single, main meal serving. Simply increase or decrease the amounts as needed.
- Small dollop of coconut oil
- 3 rashes of streaky bacon (2 of them diced)
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- 8-10 cooked prawns (or raw, use less if using king/jumbo prawns)
- 2 cups chopped lettuce or green salad
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 red capsicum/bell pepper, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon diced green onions/scallions
- 1/2 acovado, sliced
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Heat up a small dollop of coconut oil in a skillet and pan fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to a bowl and reserve the fat in the pan.
- Add the prawns, cooked or raw to the same, and add the garlic. Cook for a minute, if using cooked prawns, or for two minutes if using raw.
- Dice two rashers of bacon and add to the salad. Mix the salad dressing and combine with the rest of the salad ingredients, diced bacon, and prawns.
- Top with the last bacon slice, and sliced avocado.