I like to think of this salad as a deconstructed BLT sandwich, where bread has been replaced with more nutritious and tastier prawns and avocado. It’s one of my regular go-to lunches, or a quick dinner on those nights when I don’t feel like spending too much time in the kitchen. Super easy and delicious.
Cook’s notes: I often use pre-cooked, frozen prawns for this recipe. I place frozen prawns in a bowl of hot water and let them thaw out for about 5-10 minutes. Alternatively, you can pick some cooked prawns from your deli or fishmonger, or cook up some raw prawns. Grilled chicken or steak can be used, if avoiding shellfish.
- Small dollop of coconut oil
- 3 rashes of streaky bacon (2 of them diced)
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- 8-10 cooked prawns (or raw, use less if using king/jumbo prawns)
- 2 cups chopped lettuce or green salad
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ red capsicum/bell pepper, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon diced green onions/scallions
- ½ acovado, sliced
- 1 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Heat up a small dollop of coconut oil in a skillet and pan fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to a bowl and reserve the fat in the pan.
- Add the prawns, cooked or raw to the same, and add the garlic. Cook for a minute, if using cooked prawns, or for two minutes if using raw.
- Dice two rashers of bacon and add to the salad. Mix the salad dressing and combine with the rest of the salad ingredients, diced bacon, and prawns.
- Top with the last bacon slice, and sliced avocado.
SHARE ON PINTEREST