Recipe: Brocooli with burnt butter, almond & garlic sauce
This vibrant dish with Vitamin C loaded broccoli, fragrant garlic, nutty burnt butter and toasted almonds is easy, quick and cheap. I often make it as a side dish to go with our chosen protein for dinner. And because it keeps well in the fridge, I try to make a big batch so we can have some for lunch the next day. It tastes quite moorish so even you fussy kids might eat broccoli this way.
I am a huge butter advocate (here are some reasons) but if you’re avoiding dairy all together, you can use ghee (clarified butter) or macadamia oil instead. Almonds can be replaced by macadamia nuts or walnuts.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup silvered almonds (you can use any other blanched almonds)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Bring water to boil in a small saucepan. Add broccoli and cook for just under 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Place saucepan back on the stove, keep the heat on medium. Add butter, garlic, almonds and salt. Stir frequently until butter starts frothing. Keep it frothing and stirring for about 30 seconds letting almonds and garlic to brown slightly. It’s very easy to burn the garlic so keep an eye on it.
- Turn the heat off. Combine broccoli with butter sauce until well coated.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4 depending on the broccoli size