This baked omelette roll is a great budget meal that would make a quick dinner, lunch or weekend breakfast. It’s also a great little dish to take to picnics. Caramelised onion and carrot give the base a nice umami (savoury) flavour with a hint of sweetness that is then offset by the saltiness of the ham. Great with a fresh garden salad, pickles and mayonnaise or a spicy harrissa sauce on the side.
Cook’s notes: I think you get the idea that you can use different fillings in both the omelette base and once you roll it up. Perhaps something like pan-fried onion and red peppers in the omelette, then rolled up with some salami and spring onions, or grated zucchini with salmon inside.
- 1-2 tablespoon of ghee or butter
- 2 medium onions (I used one brown and one red onion), cut in half and sliced thinly
- 2 small carrots, peeled and grated
- ⅔ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 6 eggs
- Pinch of black pepper and sea salt
- A little coconut oil, ghee or butter for greasing
- Rimmed oven tray, about an inch deep, 8-9" by 15-16"
- Parchment/baking paper
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (optional) or harrissa sauce (you could also use something like pesto)
- 2-3 slices of free range ham
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C / 400 °F.
- Heat ghee in a medium frying pan. Add and sauté the onion for about 4-5 minutes, until lightly golden. Add the grated carrots, sprinkle with about ⅔ teaspoon of sea salt and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic right at the end.
- Whisk the eggs with a little sea salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Grease the oven tray with a little ghee, butter or coconut oil. Place a piece of parchment paper inside, making sure the sides overhang slightly to catch the egg from spilling.
- Pour in the egg mixture and tuck away the parchment paper in the corners to make sure the liquid covers the whole bottom of the tray.
- Spread the carrot and onion mixture on top and place in the oven on the middle tray. Turn the oven down to 175 °C / 345 °F and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray and pull the cooked egg base out together with the baking paper. Place on a large chopping board or tray.
- Spread your choice of either mayonnaise, pesto or harissa and scatter pieces of ham over the top.
- Gently pull one side of the parchment paper and start rolling the egg base up, folding it inwards as you go along and peeling the paper off. When you finish, sit the roll on the open end down to keep it rolled. Slice and serve with your favourite green salad or vegetables.
Leave a comment below if you try this recipe or if you have any questions. Share this post on Pinterest from here.