Recipe: Caramelised onion & carrot omelette roll up with ham
This baked omelette roll is a great budget meal that would make a quick dinner, lunch or weekend breakfast. It’s also a great little dish to take to picnics. Caramelised onion and carrot give the base a nice umami (savoury) flavour with a hint of sweetness that is then offset by the saltiness of ham. Great with a fresh garden salad, pickles and mayonnaise or harrissa on the side.
Cook’s notes: So I think you get the idea that you can use different fillings in both the omelette base and once you roll it up. You could do something like onion and red peppers and roll some salami or green onions and grated zucchini with salmon inside.
- 1-2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 medium onions (I used one brown and one red onion), cut in half and sliced thinly
- 2 small carrots, peeled and grated medium
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2/3 tsp sea salt
- 6 eggs
- Pinch of black pepper and sea salt
- A little coconut oil, ghee or butter for greasing
- Rimmed oven tray, about an inch deep, 8-9″ by 15-16″
- Parchment/baking paper
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise (optional) or harrissa sauce (you could also use something like pesto)
- 2-3 slices of free range ham
- Preheat oven to 200 °C/390 °F.
- Heat ghee in a medium frying pan and sauté onion for about 4-5 minutes, until lightly golden. Add grated carrot, sprinkle with about 2/3 teaspoon of sea salt and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the eggs with a little sea salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Grease the oven tray with a little ghee, butter or coconut oil. Place a piece of parchment paper inside, making sure the sides overhang slightly to catch the egg from spilling.
- Pour in the egg mixture and tuck away the parchment paper in the corners to make sure the liquid covers the whole bottom of the tray.
- Spread the carrot mixture on top and place in the oven on the middle tray. Turn the oven down to 175 °C/345 °F and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray and pull the cooked egg base out together with the baking paper. Place on a large chopping board or tray. Spread your choice of either mayonnaise, pesto or harissa and scatter pieces of ham on top. Gently pull one side of the parchment paper and start rolling the egg base up, folding it inwards as you go along and peeling the paper off. When you finish, sit the roll up open end down to keep it rolled. Slice and serve with your favourite green salad or vegetables.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 3