These grain-free and gluten-free cauliflower and broccoli fritters are perfect for a leisurely breakfast or brunch; and I often make them for dinner on Meatless Mondays. This recipe is more primal than paleo as I am using some dairy, but you could make them dairy-free as well.
Cauliflower and broccoli are great sources of fibre and vitamins, while eggs and cheese will add a decent dose of protein. I am using halloumi cheese, which is traditionally made from sheep’s and goat’s milk; however, many mainstream manufacturers now also add cow’s milk. Check the label, if you would prefer to avoid cow’s milk dairy altogether. You can certainly make these without cheese, as the eggs and coconut flour should still hold the shape of the fritters.
Cook’s notes: You can replace halloumi cheese with grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, or raw aged cheddar – whatever you can tolerate and have on hand. If omitting cheese completely, you could add some nutritional yeast flakes and onion powder for a little ‘cheesy’ flavour. Coconut flour can be replaced with double the amount of tapioca flour, almond meal or buckwheat flour – whatever you like to use as your preferred flour/starch.Print
For the fritters
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced cauliflower
- 1 cup finely diced broccoli
- 1/2 cup grated halloumi cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Coconut oil or ghee for cooking (ghee=clarified butter)
For the coriander aioli
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (can also be completely omitted)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely grated or diced
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the fritters ingredients. If not using any haloumi cheese, add a more generous pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil. Using your hands, shape the mixture into small patties and add to the hot pan, one by one. Bring the heat down to medium and fry for 4 minutes on each or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, whisk together the aioli ingredients and serve in a side ramekin.