These wickedly delicious rum balls are a perfect Christmas treat minus the guilt. Grain, dairy and refined sugar free, these chocolate orange balls of goodness are paleo, raw and vegan friendly. In addition, they are super easy to make – absolutely no cooking involved and your kids can help to roll the balls.
They do contain some dark rum so it’s up to you if you want to give them to the kids. I’m pretty sure that was never a problem in our household and I turned out ok…I think. Feel free to leave the rum out completely and instead add 30ml of orange juice.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know what you think in the comments below. Don’t forget to share with friends and family, or bookmark it for later on Pinterest from here. And if you’re gonna snap it for Instagram, make sure to tag @eatdrinkpaleo so I can find it.
Want more Christmas paleo treats?
Join my email newsletter and receive a FREE 7-day paleo meal plan using the recipes from my site.
- 1 cup almond meal (or other ground nuts)
- 30 ml/1 fl oz dark rum (about a shot glass)
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons brown rice malt syrup or maple syrup ( you can also get away with just 1 tablepsoon if you like it less sweet)
- ½ cup sultanas or raisins
- zest of 2 oranges
- ½ cup desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- extra cocoa and desiccated coconut for dusting
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process into a thick, doughy mixture. It should be coming off the sides and sticking together.
- Roll into small balls using your hands. Note that your hands will be oily from coconut oil inside which makes it very easy to roll the balls without the mixture sticking to your fingers. No need to wet your hands.
- Dust the finished balls with some desiccated coconut and extra cocoa powder. Place on a plate and refrigerate, covered with cling wrap.
- Store in a an air-tight container in a cool place, refrigerator if possible, before serving. These should keep for a week if not a little longer.