This creamy avocado dressing is a tasty, healthy alternative to dairy or mayonnaise-based dressings, and is suitable for paleo, AIP, and vegans salad recipes.
This creamy avocado dressing is both versatile and delicious and would go well with many types of salads. It’s a tasty, healthy alternative to creamy dairy, egg or mayonnaise-based dressings, and is suitable for paleo, AIP and vegan recipes.
One whole, ripe avocado will make a batch large enough for around 3 salads (less or more, depending on the number of servings). I stored it in an airtight container and it lasted well for up to 5 days in the fridge.
I have a quick and easy red cabbage slaw salad, which uses this dressing, on the blog. You can also add this avocado dressing to make a creamy chicken salad, prawn salad, Caesar (add some chopped anchovies to the dressing), Mexican quinoa salad, grilled or roasted vegetable salad and more. It’s also thick enough to serve with a plate of cut-up vegetables for dipping.
The ingredients are pretty simple and the key is getting that perfectly ripe avocado.
For a smooth and creamy dressing, I recommend using a small blender or a food processor. I used my Magic Bullet blender, which is perfect for making dressings, sauces and other condiments (as well as smoothies). If you don’t have a blender, you can mash the avocado together with a fork and then whisk with the other ingredients. It might not end up as smooth as my dressing but it will still be delicious.
I like my avocado dressing thick and creamy but you can also dilute it with a little more water and lemon juice, or even some coconut or almond milk.
Store the dressing in an airtight container or a jar with a tight lid. The dressing will keep its lovely green colour as it contains lemon juice.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stone removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup water (a little more if using a large avocado)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional, sub with maple syrup or coconut syrup for vegan version)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- Add all ingredients in a blender or a food processor. Process and blend until smooth and creamy. Add a little more water, if you prefer it to be a little thinner. Taste for lemon and salt, and add more, if preferred.
Related: 10 More Paleo Salad Dressing Recipes