Recipe: Dukkah Crusted Pumpkin, Rocket Salad, Steak & Tahini Dressing
I often like to serve salads and other dishes in a deconstructed fashion. I love little piles of food served on a large platter or a cutting board so you can see all of the dish elements, play with the ingredients and build your own dish. This salad has Middle Eastern/North African flavours woven through it but you could easily transform it into Mediterranean or Asian inspired version. It’s all about spices, herbs and condiments you use.
Cooking notes: Dukkah is a Middle Eastern seed and spice mixture. You can often see it served with bread and olive oil, sprinkled on eggs or used as a rub. You can pick it up from most shops or make your own. There are many versions, here is one example. You can use lamb cutlets or other meat instead of beef.
- 2-3 cups peeled pumpkin chunks/strips (Butternut or Kent)
- 2 tbsp dukkah blend
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of red chili flakes or chili powder
- 2 small fillet steaks
- Red or black pepper
- A couple of pinches of sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp tahini paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove finely chopped, grated or crushed
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 handfuls of rocket leaves
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries, cut in half
- 1 1/2 tbsp silvered or flaked almonds
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- A handful of fresh mint
- Take the fillet steaks out of the fridge, rub with pepper, salt and oil and set aside to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 200C (390F). Cut and place pumpkin in a bowl and cover with dukkah spice mix, olive oil, chili and salt. Using your hands, toss everything through until well incorporated and the rub is evenly stuck to pumpkin pieces. Place crusted pumpkin chunks in a medium greased baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Toss rocket with onion, dried cranberries, almonds, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Whisk tahini with olive oil, garlic and salt.
- Preheat a frying pan with some ghee to sizzling hot. Fry the fillet steaks on high heat for 7 minutes total, turning over every minute. Set aside on a chopping board for 3-4 minutes to rest. Slice thinly. Learn more about how to cook a perfect steak here.
- Assemble all salad elements on a large cutting board or a platter, or serve pre-mixed in individual bowls. Drizzle the steak with tahini sauce.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Number of servings:2-3