Here is a new dish in my Complete Paleo Meals series, in which I share my favourite dinner recipes that are well balanced and include protein, veggies and some healthy carbs all in one. Today it’s grilled pork cutlets (can be steaks or chops) with a gorgeous, crunchy rainbow slaw salad with hazelnuts.
Good quality pork meat is highly underrated in my opinion. The key is YOU HAVE to get the good stuff. I simply don’t buy cheap pork anymore, both for ethical and nutritional reasons. And pasture raised/bred pork meat really tastes a lot better. Even the good stuff is still very affordable. So yes, be kinder to the piggies and to yourself. If you don’t eat pork, feel free to use chicken or beef steaks instead.
The rainbow slaw is full of fibre and antioxidants – the more colours you throw in the better, so feel free to add some leafy green chard or fresh fennel, whatever is in season.
What I love about this meal is how easy and quick it is to make. You can make a large batch of the slaw over the weekend and keep it in a zip lock bag undressed. Then just make the dressing and voilà. Grilling the pork takes not time at all and you’ll have a nutritious meal on the table in 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this one. Let me know in the comments if you have any questions.Print
Feel free to use grilled chicken or beef steak instead of pork. Fish and seafood will also go well with this salad. To make a larger batch enough for 4 people or to have as leftovers, double the ingredients, however the dressing amounts should be increased by another half only…I would say.
- 4 medium pork cutlets (chops or steaks can also be used)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- dollop of coconut oil
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, shelled if possible
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or rice malt syrup (can be omitted)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 medium red cabbage, core out and thinly shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 red sweet pepper (bell pepper)
- 4–5 radishes, thinly sliced
- Remove the pork cutlets out of the fridge and leave out for 5-10 minutes bring to room temperature. Combine onion and garlic powders with salt and pepper and season the cutlets evenly.
- In a small frying pan, cook the hazelnuts for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until slightly toasted. Remove to a plate to cool. Once cool, spread on a chopping board and use a large knife to crush them slightly.
- Heat a dollop of coconut oil in a large skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the pork cutlets and cook for 3-4 minutes each side. Then set aside to rest for a minute.
- In the meantime, add the sliced red onions to a large mixing bowl and add the vinegar, honey, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix through and set aside to pickle slightly while you prepare the salad ingredients. Combine the salad ingredients with the onion and the dressing and toss through the hazelnuts.
- Serve the cutlets with the salad and a side of hot mustard or horseradish.