Recipe: Egg Over Spiced Sweet Potato & Tahini Cucumber
Today our breakfast was inspired by my favourite Middle Eastern flavours – cumin, paprika, sesame, coriander, mint and lemon. I wanted to make something different to our regular egg omelettes and salads and figured a little sweet potato will give us lots of energy for an active Saturday – me furiously typing and hanging the washing and my boyfriend doing more manly things in his dad’s backyard. Honestly though, I am planning to go for a run so I will certainly use up all the carbs in the sweet potato.
I wasn’t sure how the whole combination would work but the feedback I got form my test bunny was ‘interesting’ and when asked if it was ‘interesting good or interesting bad’, the dish got the ‘interesting good’ verdict. Plus our plates were squeaky clean by the time we polished off the food so I consider that a cooking success. Enjoy!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds powder
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Celtic salt or sea salt
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-4 free range eggs (depends if you want 1 egg each or 2)
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 tsp Tahini (a paste made from ground sesame seeds)
- 1/2 tbsp natural full fat yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh mint
- Pre-heat a frying pan to sizzling hot. In the meantime, peel and grate the sweet potato. Mix with cumin and coriander seeds powder, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add coconut oil to the pan and let it melt. Turn the heat to medium and spread a layer of grated sweet potato. Cook for 2 minutes, then scrape and turn the potato over with a spatula (yes, it will kind of get caramelised and stick to the pan a bit but that’s the yummiest part). Cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side and scrape again. It should be done in about 5 minutes. Divide between two plates, making sure you scrape all the sticky fried potato bits, and set aside.
- Add more coconut oil to the same frying pan or feel free to use a clean one if you like. Crack the eggs and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until the whites have set but the egg yolk hasn’t firmed up. Sprinkle with sweet paprika and a little salt.
- While eggs are cooking, dice the cucumber and mix with Tahini, yogurt, lemon juice and mint.
- Serve eggs on top of the sweet potato rosti-mash and cucumber on the side. Garnish with more mint.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 2
Still can't find what you're looking for?