This lovely breakfast is inspired by my favourite Middle Eastern flavours – cumin, paprika, sesame, coriander, mint and lemon. I wanted to make something different to our regular egg omelettes and salads and figured a little sweet potato will give us lots of energy for an active Saturday.
Cucumber tahini side is made with regular yoghurt but it’s just as delicious using a dairy-free coconut yoghurt. If you want, you can also make it with some paleo mayonnaise or regular olive oil instead.Print
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed powder
- 1 garlic clove, finely dice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2-4 free range eggs (depends how many you want per serve)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (mild or sweet)
- Generous pinch of salt
For cucumber side
- 1 medium cucumber, diced into cubes
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon coconut or regular full-fat yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of salt
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. In the meantime, peel and grate the sweet potato and mix with ground cumin, coriander seed powder, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add and melt the coconut oil in the frying pan. Turn the heat to medium and spread a layer of grated sweet potato. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then use a thin spatula to slide under the sweet potato (in batches) and flip it over to cook on the other side. Cook for 2-3 minutes again. It should be done in about 6-8 minutes in total. Divide the cooked sweet potato between two plates, making sure you scrape all the sticky fried potato bits, and set aside.
- Add more coconut oil to the same frying pan or feel free to use a clean pan. Crack the eggs and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are soft and runny. Sprinkle with a little paprika and sea salt.
- While the eggs are cooking, combine the cucumber with the tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, mint and a little salt.
- Serve eggs over the sweet potato and cucumber raita on the side. Garnish with more mint.