Ok, today we are going back to basics. I am going to share with you my favourite way to roast sweet potatoes. It’s super simple but with a few little tricks, you will discover the tastiest roasted sweet potatoes on the planet!
As with most recipes, the flavour really begins with the produce. While it’s not essential to get organic sweet potatoes to achieve success with this recipe, I have tried it multiple times with regular and organic sweet potatoes, and the latter win in taste every time! So, if you can, go organic.
Secondly, I love using coconut oil and I think it really adds to the flavour but you can also use some ghee, butter or regular olive oil.
Garlic and sea salt are essential if you want to get the right result. I used to simply sprinkle my potatoes with salt and pepper but then I picked up a little trick from a friend and it changed the way I made sweet potatoes. By inserting pieces of garlic inside the almost cooked sweet potatoes, you get that lovely roasted garlic flavour and aroma right through the flesh of the potato and they turn into the most delicious bites ever.
You need to make sure to cut the sweet potatoes into thick enough slices, so you have enough flesh to insert the garlic in and you have to cut the garlic into big enough pieces so that it doesn’t break when you try to insert it. That’s also the reason why the potatoes are pre-roasted first: to soften the flesh.
I often make a large tray of these sweet potatoes and they keep marvellously in the fridge for a couple of days. I use them in salads, serve for breakfast with eggs or simply with some smoked salmon or crispy bacon (great AIP breakfast!) or as a side dish for dinner.
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes (skin on but washed well and wiped)
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, cut into thick pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Grease the bottom of a large baking tray with some coconut oil.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-2 cm thick slices and spread on the tray. Top each slice with a small dollop of coconut oil. Place in the hot oven for 15 minutes (middle shelf)
- Remove the tray from the oven. Insert 2 small pieces of garlic in the flesh of each slice of potato (see picture). Sprinkle evenly with sea salt and place in the oven for 5-7 more minutes.
If you love this recipe, make sure to share it around. You can share it to your Pinterest board from here. Leave a question or comment below. Enjoy!