This multi-purpose paleo stir-fry sauce is my go-to condiment for making Asian inspired pan-fried dishes, marinades and dressings. Make a batch ahead of time to keep in the fridge!
I’ve had a few requests for a quick and easy paleo stir-fry sauce, so I thought I’d share what I usually make and use. This flavoursome sauce can be used in more than just stir-fries, and that’s why I usually make a larger batch of it to store in the fridge.
This recipe is gluten and soy-free and uses coconut aminos as its base. You can learn more about coconut aminos here. You can usually find a bottle at a health food store or online (e.g. Amazon or Thrive Market). Alternatively, you can use a regular wheat-free tamari sauce; in this case, don’t add the salt listed in the ingredients. This sauce will last for up to a month in the fridge.
For AIP version, omit the sesame oil.
Different ways to use this paleo stir-fry sauce
- Add to any vegetable stir-fry, see my quick recipe below.
- Use in any meat or seafood stir-fry; you don’t even have to add garlic or ginger to the stir-fry as it’s already in the sauce.
- Marinate any kind of meat before grilling.
- Mix up with a little extra lime juice and some olive oil for a quick Asian salad dressing.
- Drizzle over salmon or white fish and bake in a paper bag with some thinly sliced vegetables.
Tamari sauce can be used instead of coconut aminos. Don’t add the salt in this case.
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (small knob)
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey or coconut syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 long red chilli, finely diced (if you like a bit of heat)
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to a month. The salt in the sauce will preserve all of the ingredients quite well. It will become more pungent with ginger and garlic as the time goes by.
Quick paleo vegetable stir-fry
1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 small red pepper, sliced
large handful snow peas, tails cut off
3 tablespoons paleo stir fry sauce
Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add the veggies and pan-fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times. Add 3 tablespoons of the paleo stir-fry sauce and stir through over high heat for 20-30 seconds. It will caramelise and thicken slightly. That’s it!