This multi-purpose paleo stir-fry sauce is my go-to condiment for making Asian inspired pan-fried dishes, marinades and dressings. Make a batch ahead of time to keep in the fridge!
I’ve had a few requests for a quick and easy paleo stir-fry sauce, so I thought I’d share what I usually make and use. This flavoursome sauce can be used in more than just stir-fries, and that’s why I usually make a larger batch of it to store in the fridge.
This recipe is gluten and soy-free and uses coconut aminos as its base. You can learn more about coconut aminos here. You can usually find a bottle at a health food store or online (e.g. Amazon or Thrive Market). Alternatively, you can use a regular wheat-free tamari sauce; in this case, don’t add the salt listed in the ingredients. This sauce will last for up to a month in the fridge.
For AIP version, omit the sesame oil.
Different ways to use this paleo stir-fry sauce
- Add to any vegetable stir-fry, see my quick recipe below.
- Use in any meat or seafood stir-fry; you don’t even have to add garlic or ginger to the stir-fry as it’s already in the sauce.
- Marinate any kind of meat before grilling.
- Mix up with a little extra lime juice and some olive oil for a quick Asian salad dressing.
- Drizzle over salmon or white fish and bake in a paper bag with some thinly sliced vegetables.
Tamari sauce can be used instead of coconut aminos. Don’t add the salt in this case.
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (small knob)
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey or coconut syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 long red chilli, finely diced (if you like a bit of heat)
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to a month. The salt in the sauce will preserve all of the ingredients quite well. It will become more pungent with ginger and garlic as the time goes by.
Quick paleo & vegetable stir-fry
1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 small red pepper, sliced
large handful snow peas, tails cut off
3 tablespoons paleo stir fry sauce
Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add the veggies and pan-fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times. Add 3 tablespoons of the paleo stir-fry sauce and stir through over high heat for 20-30 seconds. It will caramelise and thicken slightly. That’s it!