There are hundreds of recipes for an authentic guacamole. This is not one of them! Instead, it’s one of my special ways to make guacamole and it involves an ingredient that you probably wouldn’t think of using but it works really well.
Leeks!! It’s a surprisingly great addition to avocado. Well, I shouldn’t say surprising because leek’s flavour is somewhere between onion, spring onion and garlic, all of which are frequently used in guacamole. What I like about using finely chopped leek is that it adds the flavour of onion and garlic but without the pungency. It’s like a mellowed out cousin of the two. Spicy jalapeños, fresh coriander (cilantro if you will), and lime juice are the usual suspects and are also present in my combo.
Another cool thing about using leeks is that those following a low FODMAPS diet can still get that mellow onion and garlic flavour in the guacamole by simply using the green parts of the leek. Kind of like you would use spring onion and chives, which are lower in FODMAPS than the regular garlic and onion.
I make this guacamole together with my grilled pineapple salsa whenever we’re having pulled pork or my delicious chorizo and beef chilli. Wrap them up in a lettuce leaf or make some gluten-free or paleo-friendly tortillas.
Find the full recipe below and enjoy! Let me know what you think of the leek and avocado combo.Print
Finely chopped leeks are used in place of garlic or onion in this fun guacamole recipe. Jalapeños can be replaced with regular chopped chilli or some chilli flakes.
- 2 avocados, flesh sliced and scooped out into a bowl
- 1/3 cup finely diced leek (pale or pale green part as they are softer)
- 6-7 pickled jalapeño slices, diced finely
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- juice of 1/2 large lime
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro/coriander
- Add the avocado flesh to a bowl and mash together with a fork. Then add the rest of the ingredients, mash and stir through until well combined. Cover with some cling wrap until service or when storing in the fridge.
You can serve this guacamole with these yummy dishes: