This turkey rissoles recipe is inspired by Thanksgiving but you don’t need to wait till November to enjoy it. I wanted to create a simple dish using up ground turkey meat that can be enjoyed both during the festive season and any time of the year. The turkey mince patties are served with tart and flavoursome cranberry and pine nut pesto – it’s that perfect combination of savoury and sweet. These are quick and easy to make so you’ll have a healthy dinner on the table in no time.
What’s good about it
Turkey is a great source of protein, B vitamins and selenium, while cranberries are full of vitamin C and antioxidants. The pesto also contains pine nuts, full of manganese, vitamin E and vitamin K and healthy olive oil. All you need is some green veggies on the side.Print
Other nuts or seeds such as sunflower or pumpkin could be used instead of pine-nuts. The mince can be made into meatballs or even a meatloaf.
For the pesto
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ clove garlic, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil
For the patties
- 500 g turkey mince (ground turkey thighs & breast is best)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅔ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Coconut oil for cooking (ghee can also be used)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Soak cranberries in small bowl of hot water for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add pine nuts to a medium hot frying pan and cook for about two minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted and browned.
- Transfer most of them to a food processor (I like to reserve a few for garnish), together with the rest of ingredients and soaked cranberries. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the water, in which the cranberries were soaking. Process into pesto like paste, for about 30 seconds, scraping the sides a couple of times. Transfer to a ramekin
- Combine turkey mince with the rest of ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to work the mince and incorporate all the ingredients. Using wet hands, roll small batches of mince into balls and flatten into round patties.
- Heat about a teaspoon of coconut oil or ghee in a large frying pan to high and then turn down to medium-high. Add the patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, adding a little more coconut oil when flipping them over.
- Serve patties with a side of cranberry pesto and your favourite veggies.
Enjoy this recipe guys! Let me know what you think in the comments below. Don’t forget to share with friends and family, or bookmark it for later on Pinterest from here. And if you’re gonna snap it for Instagram, make sure to tag @eatdrinkpaleo so I can find it.
Join my email newsletter and receive a FREE 7-day paleo meal plan using the recipes from my site.