When it comes to quick and easy, sheet pan meals are not just for dinner time. Savoury breakfast dishes such as these sheet pan eggs are perfectly suited to oven cooking and once you’ve assembled all the ingredients and popped the tray in the oven, you have the perfect amount of time to enjoy that magic shower.
You can use this simple recipe as a template and create your own version of sheet pan breakfast. Try a combination of sun-dried tomatoes and Italian sausage, or sliced mushrooms and asparagus.
I used tinned pre-cooked artichokes preserved in slightly acidic brine. You can also use ready-made artichokes from a jar (often preserved in olive oil or salty/vinegar brine) or bought from a deli counter (they often come roasted or grilled in olive oil). If you don’t have artichokes, try using sun-dried tomatoes, asparagus, sliced zucchini or even some olives.
If you don’t have a sheet pan, you can use a regular baking tray or a casserole dish instead. Please note, that the eggs can sometimes get a little stuck to the bottom and you might need to do some scrubbing when washing up. Make sure to grease the pan well! You can also use some parchment paper on the bottom, if your tray tends to get sticky.
If you haven’t jumped on the sheet pan meal train yet, check out these 20 healthy sheet pan dinners.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 eggs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tinned artichoke hearts, roughly diced (see notes)
- 1 spring onion/scallion, diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered or halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves (1 teaspoon of dried leaves is also fine or other fresh herbs)
- 4 slices of prosciutto, salami or other good quality cold meats
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 355 F.
- Brush a shallow sheet pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. I use a pastry brush to do this, making sure to coat the corners and sides of the pan.
- Crack and add the eggs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scatter the artichokes, green onions and tomatoes around the eggs and sprinkle with oregano leaves, or other herbs.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven, middle shelf, and set the timer to 8 minutes. Check on the eggs and if the whites are firm and the egg yolks are just soft, take out the pan and scatter the ham over the eggs. Serve right away.