This Mexican inspired egg scramble was a nice change to our standard fried eggs breakfast. Caramelised onion and peppers, warm spices and a little kick and smokiness from the chipotle chilli go really well with the eggs and we enjoyed the freshness of the avocado and radish salad on the side. Nutritious and colourful meal to start the day with!
Cook’s notes: If you want to make this in the morning during the week, I suggest to either pre-chop everything the night before or to pre-cook the onion and capsicum mixture so all you have to do in the morning is add and scramble the eggs through. Dried chipotle is a very smoky, milk chilli which can be found in most specialty spice shops, delis and in the Mexican section of the supermarket. Smoked paprika can be used instead or you can simply leave it out.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 medium brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow or red capsicum/bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 long red chilli, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (you can used canned diced tomatoes, just strain some of the juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 dried chipotle chilli (optional), chopped
- 5 eggs
For the salad
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 5-6 radishes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- handful of fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of ground coriander seed
- Heat ghee in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, capsicum and chilli for 5-6 minutes over medium heat, until softened. Add tomatoes, garlic, spices, sea salt and the dried chipotle pepper. Stir and cook for a further couple of minutes, add a little more ghee or water if the mixture starts sticking to the bottom.
- Whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt and add to the mixture in the pan. Cook and continuously scramble and scrape the mixture from the bottom, folding it over and allowing different parts to cook through until soft and still slightly moist, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the salad ingredients and dress with a mix of lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and coriander seed. Serve with eggs and an extra wedge of lime.