This glorious paleo apple cake recipe comes from author, celebrity chef, and wellness expert Teresa Cutter’s massive encyclopaedia of healthy baking recipes, Healthy Baking – Cakes, Cookies + Raw. I’ve always been a huge fan of Teresa’s blog and cooking philosophy, so it’s a real treat (see what I did there!) to have her cake recipe on my own blog.
With chapters on healthy cookies, wholesome cakes, raw desserts and the most amazing collection of gluten-free breads, Teresa’s comprehensive baking book is the ultimate “must have” whole food baking book for every household. Seriously, it’s EPIC!
Her delicious recipes are free from refined sugars and flours and offer gluten-free and paleo alternatives to suit everyone’s taste.
Healthy Baking – Cakes, Cookies + Raw is available on TheHealthyChef.com eStore and selected bookstores. Hard copies retail for $69.95 AUD and the eBook version is available to purchase on iTunes. It’s a very large book, so trust me when I say the price is worth it.
Now, for the paleo apple cake recipe…The reason this one caught my eye is because it reminds me of the apple cake my grandma used to make. Apple and pear cakes were my favourite growing up, and this is sort of a cake mixed together with a pie making it a bit of a crowd pleaser. You can use pears instead of apples for this recipe.
- 200 g (7 oz. / 2 cups) almond meal
- 1 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 60 mL (2 oz. / ¼ cup) extra virgin olive or macadamia nut oil
- 90 g (3 oz. / ¼ cup) raw honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 organic eggs
- Zest from one orange
- 2 large red apples, skin on, diced
- Flaked almonds to garnish
- Preheat oven to 160 C fan-forced (320 F).
- Combine almond meal, baking powder, olive oil, honey, vanilla, eggs and orange zest.
- Mix through until well combined.
- Fold in the apples.
- Prepare a 20 cm. (8 inches) lined baking tin, making sure the base and sides of the tin are lined.
- Press the batter firmly into the tin.
- Garnish with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 60-80 minutes.
- Rest in the tin for 30 minutes before removing and enjoy!
Share this gorgeous paleo apple cake on Pinterest from here.