Recipe: Paleo Apple & Strawberry Crumble
When I was a little girl I would often come home from school to smell some sort of fruit crumble pie baking in the oven. My grandmother made the most delicious fruit pies – plums, blackberries, apples, peaches – she would use whatever was in season and the aromas would fill our home as well as our neighbours’. This crumble recipe is paleo friendly as it contains no grains, no refined sugars or dairy but as many of the ingredients still contain natural sugars (dates, fruit, coconut) and carbs, I would recommend saving it for special occasions or weekends.
Cooking notes: I used small individual ramekins but you can easily use one baking dish and serve it as a whole pie.
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 4 dates
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 15 strawberries, diced
- 3 1/2 large Pink Lady or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- juice from 1 small to medium orange
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Heat ghee in a medium saucepan. Cut vanilla pod in half going lengthways and scoop some of the seeds out. Add all filling ingredients, stir and bring to boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until apples have softened and the mix has thickened and caramelized slightly.
- Half way through cooking the apple and strawberries, pre-heat oven on 150C.
- Using a food processor, grind macadamia nuts and dates into crumbs. Add coconut flour and coconut oil and process into moist crumbs. Finally add shredded coconut and blend together until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Divide apple and strawberry filling between four small baking dishes and fill with 1 ½ centimeter thick layer of crumble mixture. Bake in the oven, on the middle shelf, for 15-20 minutes or until brown crust forms on top.
- Serve with fresh strawberries and some coconut cream or as is.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4
If you like this, check out my Eat Drink Paleo Cookbook for more delicious paleo recipes, introduction to paleo nutrition and philosophy and a handy inventory of foods to focus on and avoid. Available on my website.
Still can't find what you're looking for?