Want a quick and easy weeknight dinner? I love making this paleo Cajun grilled salmon with tomato cauliflower rice as it’s nutritious, tasty and super speedy.
This meal consists of two elements: Cajun spiced lime and honey salmon (which can also be chicken or prawns) and the tomato cauliflower rice. They are pretty much individual recipes and you are welcome to switch things around if you like. you might want to make the salmon but serve it with a different side dish, or you might like the sound of the tomato cauliflower rice but grill some chicken instead.
To prepare the salmon, we need to first marinate the fish fillets in a lovely, zesty citrus dressing made with lime juice and honey. For a more intense flavour, you can do this overnight, but 10-15 minutes is also fine for those making a quick dinner. I usually do this first and then move on to the spice rub and the cauliflower rice.
I make my own spice rub with commonly available spices and some herbs but you could also purchase a ready-made Cajun spice blend such as this one. Set it aside while the salmon fillets are soaking up the citrus flavours.
When it comes to making cauliflower rice, you have two options: finely chop everything by hand using a large, sharp knife OR use a food processor. I use this small, hand-powered food processor, which I LOVE as it does the job quickly and with minimal cleanup. I suggest chopping all vegetables into similar size cubes such as below.
Once all the ingredients are ready, I normally make the tomato cauliflower rice first and then pan-fry the salmon as it doesn’t need much cooking time. Follow the instructions below in the recipe to complete the meal. Here is how lovely the tomato cauliflower rice looks when it’s done. It’s a great side dish to go with any protein.
- 2 salmon fillets (as big as you need for your appetite)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons honey
For the spice rub
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried or fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or chipotle chill (if you have those)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Coconut oil for cooking the salmon
Tomato Cauliflower Rice
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- Pinch of
chiliflakes or powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Roma tomato (or medium round tomato, otherwise 3-4 cherry tomatoes)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon of butter, ghee or extra olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander or parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped green onion (optional, for garnish)
- Mix honey and lime juice in a bowl and add the salmon. Coat on both sides and set aside while you prepare the cauliflower rice. Halfway through, turn the piece over so that they marinate evenly on each side.
- Mix the rub spices in a small bowl and set aside. Make the cauliflower tomato rice.
- Make the tomato cauliflower rice. Preheat a large frying pan over medium-high. Sauté the onions with olive oil for a minute and add the spices. Stir through and then add the chopped vegetables and butter (or ghee), and cook for 4-5 minutes over high heat. Stir through often. Finish off by adding the fresh herbs and serve.
- To cook the salmon, heat a tablespoon or two of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the salmon fillets from the marinade and shake off slightly. Place on a plate and sprinkle evenly with the spice rub (it should cover the fillets quite well). Press down with your fingers. Turn over and cover the other side. Place in a hot skillet and cook for 3+1/2 minutes on each side, until blackened and crispy. Towards the end of the cooking time, drizzle the remaining lime-honey marinade over the fillets. Serve over tomato cauliflower rice.