Here is a summary of what’s in and what’s out on the Paleo food list (well at least my Paleo food list):
- Meat and poultry – grass-fed, free range
- Fish and seafood – try to choose sustainable fish and seafood when possible
- Vegetables – non-starchy and some starchy tubers and root vegetables
- Fruit and berries – fruits high in sugar, like bananas, should be consumed in moderation.
- Nuts and seeds – many nuts and seeds have high Omega-6 content so perhaps don’t go eating a bowl after bowl.
- Spices and herbs
- Fats – coconut oil, coconut milk and cream, ghee, butter (yep, it’s mostly fat so no problems with lactose), duck fat, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, fish oil, sesame oil as well as from grass-fed meats, poultry and fish.
- Condiments like mustards, wheat free soy and oyster sauces, fish sauce, olive oil mayonnaise, low sugar tomato sauce, salsas and pestos.
- Grains, especially wheat and anything with gluten – wild rice, white rice and quinoa are probably less harmful if you must eat some but watch those carbs.
- Refined sugars
- Gluten containing products
- Dairy, especially milk and low fat dairy, for those with damaged gut or gluten/lactose intolerances.
- Dairy – should mainly be avoided if you suffer from serious gut problems and gluten intolerances but if you’re in good health and have no sensitivities to lactose (sugars in milk) or casein (protein in milk) then a little healthy dairy can go a long way. Avoid cow’s milk as it’s got high GI unlike cheese or yogurt. Better options are goat’s and sheep’s milk products, A2 cow’s milk and cow’s milk fermented products like kefir, unsweetened yogurt, aged cheeses, full fat cream, butter, and ricotta.
- Natural sweeteners – honey, maple syrup, molasses, dried fruit, dark chocolate, palm sugar.
- Alcohol – dry wines, clean non-grain based spirits.
- Soy - fermented only (miso, tempeh in small amounts)
Not sure what Paleo is all about? Read a little bit about it here.
Do you like or use my recipes? How about over 120 new, amazing paleo friendly recipes coming your way? You can still pre-purchase my upcoming digital cookbook for a special early bird price of $20 including a free Herbs & Spices guide. Get this pre-release offer and help me to self-publish my first digital cookbook.
Looking for additional reading on Paleo or Primal nutrition? How about getting rid of sugar from your diet? Check out these guide books: