Hoisin sauce is essentially a Chinese barbecue sauce. It’s thick, dark, sweet and salty and is used as a glaze on meats, especially pork ribs, chicken wings and duck; in stir-fries and as a condiment to Chinese duck pancakes. Commercially available hoisin sauce is often loaded with colouring, preservatives and wheat or corn flour as a thickening starch. This version is a natural, paleo friendly version that is a little bit lighter in colour but even more flavourful than the traditional hoisin.
Tamari is a sauce made from soy beans but it’s fermented soy bean and the process of fermentation removes a lot of the anti-nutrients found in them. Using this as a condiment is ok as you’re consuming a very small amount, just like people in Asia have done for centuries, rather than eating slabs of tofu and drinking cups of soy milk. This is a big difference and is often forgotten. For those who want to avoid soy all together, use coconut aminos instead and it will still taste hoisin delicious.Print
- Juice of 1 orange (remove any pits)
- 2 tbsp almond butter or sunflower butter
- 1 tsp grated garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger (thumb size knob of fresh ginger)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 5 tbsp gluten free soy sauce such as Tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes or powder
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to boil. Turn the heat down to very low, whisk and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. The mixture will thicken and darken. Remove to a ramekin and set aside. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
This hoisin sauce goes with my Paleo Peking Duck Pancakes.
P.S. Would you like to make the paleo diet work for you? Check out one of my three paleo plan options here. Choose between the 7-Day Paleo Kick Starter, 4-Week Paleo Reset or the complete 8-Week Paleo Reset & Reintroductions Plan.