I love peaches when they come into season. Juicy, sweet and aromatic, they are the perfect fruit that can be enjoyed as as or in desserts. I prefer peaches fresh – simply sliced up or mixed in a lovely fruit salad – but every now and then I really enjoy baking with them. This paleo peach crumble, or crisp if you like, is a delicious way to use up leftover peaches, and can be enjoyed with coconut ice cream, double cream (if you can tolerate dairy), or a little coconut yoghurt. I mixed mine with fresh basil, which really compliments the flavour of the peach.
Crumble or crips is a dessert of baked fruit topped with a mixture of some combination of flour, nuts, oatmeal, butter, and sugar. The texture of the topping is a little crunchy or crispy (similar to granola or streusel), and pairs well with soft, warm fruit. You can make apple, berry or pear crumbles just as well. My topping is made with paleo and gluten-free friendly ingredients, and is sweetened with natural sweeteners like honey and coconut sugar. Note that it’s not as sweet as the traditional crumbles but I think that it’s a great way to highlight the flavour of the fruit instead.
Cook’s notes: Arrowroot starch is used to thicken the peach juices while they are baking. You can use some tapioca starch as well. If you can find either, just go without and it will still be lovely. For a nut-free version, use a combination of seeds where nuts are mentioned.
Check out this round up for paleo apple crisp recipes.
- 4 medium peaches, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract/essence
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons tapioca or cassava flour/starch
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- ½ cup nuts of choice (I used hazelnuts and pecans)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence
- 5 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 370 F.
- Mix peaches with coconut sugar, arrowroot, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the crumble ingredients, except for honey and ghee, to a food processor with an S-blade on. Process into crumbly texture, then add the wet the honey and ghee and process again quickly until mixed and slightly sticky.
- Place the baking dish with the peaches in the oven for 10 minutes. Then remove and spread the crumble mixture evenly over the top. Place the dish back in the oven for 20-25 minute, until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Cool slightly before serving. Mix together yoghurt with fresh basil and vanilla and serve on the side.
Share on Pinterest