I love baked treats but I don’t have a sweet tooth so I tend to do more savoury slices, muffins and breads. Many baked paleo treats use nut meals and as much as we love nuts, and they are nutritious, these treats are not always kid lunch box friendly. Some nuts are also very high in Omega-6 fatty acids and too much of those guys can actually be a little inflammatory to our systems. I’ve been trying to develop a few recipes for baked goodies that are nut free and still use nutritious natural ingredients so I hope you like this one.
These savoury muffins are made with grated zucchini and sun-dried tomatoes and garlic to add lots of flavour. The batter is thickened with ground pumpkin seeds, which are rich in vitamin E, zinc and magnesium; flaxseed meal which is high Omega-3 (offsetting those Omega-6 in the pumpkin seeds) and a little tapioca flour. They are super simple to make and will make a great little addition to yours or your kids lunch box.
- Coconut oil for greasing
- 1½ cup grated zucchini
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed if in oil
- 1 medium clove garlic
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 eggs
- 2 heaped tablespoons flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 175 °C/350 °F (conventional oven). Grease a medium muffin tray (6 casings) with a little coconut oil.
- Using your hands, squeeze grated zucchini to remove as much of the juice as possible. Add the flesh to a mixing bowl.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and pumpkin seeds to a food processor. Process until ground and incorporated. Transfer to the bowl with the grated zucchini.
- Add eggs, flaxseed meal, tapioca, onion powder, salt and baking powder to the mix and combine together very well.
- Divide the mixture between 5 or 6 muffin casings (depending on the size) and place in the oven, middle shelf. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool completely before removing from the tray.
- These muffins can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Making the muffins step by step photos