Recipe: Radish & egg salad with creamy dressing
This radish and cooked egg salad is a family favourite, especially loved by my sister. My mum has always grown radishes and spring onion in the garden so we would eat this healthy salad throughout the year. Radish is very easily grown – we’re talking less than 3 days for the seed to germinate and sprout into a small plant – ans is therefore available across seasons. Radishes are full of vitamin C and contain adequate levels of folate, vitamin B-6, riboflavin, thiamin and minerals such as iron, magnesium, copper and calcium. Not bad for a little root bulb!
Traditionally it’s combined with a creamy dressing made from whole egg mayonnaise and sour cream or creme fresh but you can easily use lemon juice and olive oil if trying to avoid dairy. I am posting the original recipe with some of my love added in. To store radish, remove the green leaves which will otherwise zap nutrition from the root, and keep in the fridge in a plastic bag or air tight container, they should stay fresh for about a week.
- 1 bunch of radishes (6-8 medium size radish bulbs)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onion
- 1 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise (less sweet variety or home made olive oil based would be ideal)
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1/2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- A pinch of cracked pepper
- A few small salad leaves
- Cook eggs in boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Rinse under cold water for a few minutes and peel. Cut eggs in half and separate the whites from the yolk. Crumble the yolk and dice the whites.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, crème fraîche, lemon juice, salt and pepper to make the dressing.
- Wash and thinly slice the radish. Smear some of the dressing on the bottom of a large serving plate. Place a thick layer of radishes and sprinkle with green onion, diced egg whites and yolk crumble. Drizzle with a tablespoon of dressing and garnish with a few salad leaves. If presentation is not important, just toss everything together with the dressing and serve in a salad bowl.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 2