Hello Eat Drink Paleo readers!
I’m tremendously excited to be sharing this vibrant happy inducing salad with you today. I’m Chantelle and I write the paleo food blog Naked Cuisine. To me, food should be made with real unprocessed ingredients aka naked, stripped of all falsity, cover up, modified corn solids and all that nastiness.
Up here in Canada it is bloody cold right now (yes I’m very jealous of all the Aussies at the moment), which equates to a high level of importance placed upon colourful salads like this one. Salads loaded with superfoods like pomegranate, avocado, hemp seeds and sauerkraut are great in any season. This salad is highly adaptable to what’s in season and the dressing has the perfect balance of zing and creaminess that just keeps you wanting more. If you love a good salad dressing as much as I do, my lemony tahini dressing is another great one to have in your repertoire.
I like to add sauerkraut to my salads for extra probiotics and insanely delicious crunch factor. I can even manage to sneak it past sauerkraut skeptics (they don’t know what they’re missing). If you’re interested in learning more about the benefits of sauerkraut and other ferment foods check out my article on 10 reasons to eat sauerkraut and some delicious recipes. Eating fermented foods with every meal literally changed my health. Not only are they delicious but they improve digestion, mood, and reduce inflammation.
I found Irena’s blog through her post on paleo friendly Jamie Oliver recipes. I think we both share a mutual adoration for the naked chef. One recipe that didn’t make the list is his homemade beetroot salmon gravlax, I think it would go beautifully with this salad and the bright red colour from the beets adds extra rainbow intensity to the dish.
From Irena: I’m super stoked to be able to feature a few of Chantelle’s recipes on EDP. She’s a food lover, nature and travel junky and writes the blog naked cuisine where she transforms crap foods into magical health bombs. She’s also a freelance writer and copywriter for health and wellness practitioners and helps them hone in on their most authentic nitty gritty message. Look out for more of Naked Cuisine recipes coming up soon. You can find Chantelle of Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
- 6 cups mixed greens or chopped lettuce
- ½ red bell pepper/capsicum, sliced
- ½ yellow pepper/capsicum, sliced
- handful of sauerkraut
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 pear, sliced
- 1 apple sliced
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- handful hemp seeds
- handful pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (paleo friendly if you can make your own)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- handful fresh basil, finely chopped OR 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- In a large bowl top greens with sliced zucchini, peppers, apple, pear, pomegranate and avocado. Sprinkle with sauerkraut, hemp and pumpkin seeds.
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a jar, cover and shake until everything is combined.
- Pour dressing over the salad just before serving and enjoy!