Cook’s notes: I have a vegetable spiralizer gadget at home, which makes gorgeous noodles from almost any vegetable. I absolutely love using it and recommend getting one online. You can even order this one from the US if you can’t find it in your country because it’s a manual machine and therefore there are no voltage conversion issues. Alternatively, you can use a grater or slice the vegetables thinly with a knife or a peeler. Walnuts can be replaced with hazelnuts, almonds or macadamia nuts.
- For the salad
- 2 medium raw beets (I used pink and red)
- 1 medium carrot
- 4–5 slices of goat’s cheese or shaved Pecorino cheese
- For the dressing
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely diced or grated
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Peel and slice beetroots and carrots very thinly or use a spiralizer to make noodles strips.
- Place dressing ingredients in a food processor, blender or a mortar and pestle and grind until fairly smooth. It’s ok to have a few crunchy bits in there.
- Toss beetroot and carrot noodles with 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing (more if you like) and top with goat’s cheese.