I make a cabbage colelsaw on a weekly basis, and I especially love using red cabbage both for its pretty colour and its nutritional profile ( very high in vitamins, antioxidants and fibre!). Most of the time I use a mayonnaise-based dressing for my slaw salads but today I am trying out a dairy-free and egg-free creamy avocado dressing.
You can find the recipe for my Creamy Avocado Dressing here. It’s super versatile and works really well in a slaw-type salad. Seriously, you would think it contains double cream or mayo because it’s so thick and creamy. The flavours of lemon and a touch of garlic really complement the nuttiness of the avocado fruit. Coriander is an amazing herb to serve with this dressing, but you can also use basil or parsley.
This recipe is for a small batch of the slaw that you can enjoy as a simple salad meal, or you can add some grilled chicken, meat or seafood on top. I often make a larger batch of the slaw salad and store it undressed in a large Ziplock bag. I store the dressing separately and mix it with the salad just before service. You can use a variety of crunchy vegetables in this salad. I like to add a few different colours for a full rainbow effect.
Love salads or looking for more interesting salad recipes? Check out my new eBook Salad A Day: 45+ Delicious Salads For Health & Vitality.
- 1/2 red cabbage, cut into quarters and finely shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 yellow or red pepper, thinly sliced (omit for AIP)
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup Creamy Avocado Dressing (see link above in the post)
- Large handful of fresh coriander / cilantro leaves
- 2 lime wedges, for garnish
- Combine salad ingredients with most of the dressing in a large mixing bowl. Transfer to a serving bowl or divide between bowls and drizzle with a little more dressing and scatter the coriander leaves over the top. Serve with a couple of extra lime wedges.