Recipe: Sweet potato & bacon omelette
This recipe is perfect for weekends when you have a little time up your sleeve. You can still prepare it in the mornings during the week but make sure to give yourself 15-20 minutes and remember to do some prep the night before. I usually roast sweet potato the night before, maybe a larger batch so we can have some for dinner as well, and then store enough for the omelette the next day. You can also pre-dice bacon the night before to save time. Paleo is all about planning and prep!
Also remember that sweet potato is high in carbohydrates so it’s a filling kind of meal, suitable for active people or as a post-workout dish (yes, you can make this for dinner or lunch too).
Cooking notes: I used bacon rashes that come with the short cut, large meaty part. Sweet potato can be replaced with parsnips or other similar root vegetables and if you’re avoiding foods higher in carbs, you could use grilled asparagus or some artichoke instead. I used goat’s cheese, also known as chèvre, but you could also use some goats milk feta which is a little cheaper. Feel free to leave the cheese out if you’re avoiding all dairy, including non-cow’s milk.
For the sweet potato part
- 1 1/2 cup diced sweet potato (1-2cm chunks)
- 1 small white onion, cut in half and sliced roughtly
- A few springs of fresh thyme
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For the rest
- 3-4 rashers of bacon, including the short cut part
- 6 eggs, whisked
- A pinch of black pepper
- A little ghee or coconut oil
- A little crumbled goats cheese
- Mixed salad greens & sliced cucumber
- Pre-heat oven to 200C. Rub the bottom of a baking tray with coconut oil or let it melt quickly in the oven. Scatter sweet potato, onion and fresh thyme leaves in a tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Stir a couple of times after the first 15 minutes of roasting. Sprinkle with a little salt at the end.
- Cut away the rind of the bacon but don’t discard. Dice bacon, including the fat in the streaky rushes, into small cubes. Cut the rind strips into 3-4 pieces. Heat a little ghee or coconut oil in a frying pan you will be cooking the omelette in. Fry bacon for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until it’s brown and crispy. Then turn the heat to medium.
- Add sweet potato mix and stir through until warmed up. Pour whisked egg mixture over potato and bacon making sure the whole surface is evenly covered. Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the egg is set and cooked through, you can cover the pan with a lid to speed up the cooking process. Half way through, scatter some broken goats cheese and black pepper. Again, cheese is optional.
- Serve with a side salad of mixed greens, cucumber, lemon juice & olive oil.
Preparation time: 12 minutes
Cooking time: 40minutes (includine the roasting of sweet potato)
Number of servings: 3