Recipe: Under $25: Beetroot & Rosemary Beef Burgers
To continue with my Under $25 series, I made these gorgeous beetroot and rosemary flavoured beef burgers with a side of fennel and cucumber salad and avocado. It’s an easy and fairly quick meal and will feed about 4 people or 2 with leftovers.
Cost breakdown is based on Australian prices, which basically means it will be cheaper anywhere else in the world except for maybe Switzerland: 1kg grass fed beef mince - $10, 2 beets – $1-2, fresh rosemary – $0.50, fennel bulb – $2, avocado – $2-3, cucumbers – $1, 2-3 cups mixed salad leaves – $2, seasonings & oils – $1-2 - total about $20-22 AUD
Cook’s notes: I used raw beetroot but you could grate pre-cooked beetroot instead, however I think it would make the mixture a little more moist. Grated carrots can also be used, which is especially good if you’re trying to sneak in a bit more veg for your kiddies. And a combination of pork and beef mince can be used as well.
For the beef patties
- 1 kg beef mince (ground beef 2.2 lbs)
- 2 medium raw beetroots (beets), peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary needles (about 2 sprigs)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ghee or coconut oil for frying
For the sides
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2-3 cups mixed salad leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced (1/4 per serving)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar or Apple Cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seed oil (optional but adds a bit of magic)
- 1/2 tsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- pinch of sea salt and black ground pepper
- Combine beef patties ingredients in a large mixing bowl and work through with your hands until well incorporated. Roll and mould into small patties.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in large frying pan until medium hot, Cook patties in batches as to not overcrowd the frying pan. I gave them about 3-4 minutes on each side. Make sure the heat is not too high as the patties as the natural sugars in the beetroot will start caramelising and can burn quickly, forming a black crust on the patties. Set aside for a minute or two before serving.
- While the burgers are cooking prepare the side salad by combining all ingredients together. Avocado can be served separately.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Yield: 14-15 mini burger patties
If you like this, check out my Eat Drink Paleo Cookbook for more delicious paleo recipes, introduction to paleo nutrition and philosophy and a handy inventory of foods to focus on and avoid. Available on my website and on Amazon.com.
Still can't find what you're looking for?