Recipe: Under $25: Beetroot & Rosemary Beef Burgers
To continue with my Under $25 series, I made these gorgeous beetroot and rosemary flavoured beef burgers with a side of fennel and cucumber salad and avocado. It’s an easy and fairly quick meal and will feed about 4 people or 2 with leftovers.
This recipe has been updated with new quantities for 500g of beef, plus a new pic.
Cost breakdown is based on Australian prices, which basically means it will be cheaper anywhere else in the world except for maybe Switzerland: 500g grass fed beef mince – $7, 1 beetroot – $1, fresh rosemary – $0.50, fennel bulb – $2, avocado – $2-3, cucumbers – $1, 2-3 cups mixed salad leaves – $2, seasonings & oils – $1-2 – total about $20 AUD
Cook’s notes: I used raw beetroot but you could grate pre-cooked beetroot instead, however I think it would make the mixture a little more moist. Grated carrots can also be used, which is especially good if you’re trying to sneak in a bit more veg for your kiddies. And a combination of pork and beef mince can be used as well.
For the beef patties
- ½ medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 500g beef mince (ground beef 2.2 lbs)
- 1 medium raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely diced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary needles (about 2 sprigs)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 tsp ground black pepper
- Ghee or coconut oil for frying
Fennel & cucumber salad
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar or Apple Cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- Pinch of sea salt and black ground pepper
- 1 avocado sliced, on the side
- Sauté onion in ghee or olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until translucent.
- Combine cooked onion with the rest of the beef patties ingredients in a large mixing bowl and work through with your hands until well incorporated. Roll and mould into small patties.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of ghee in large non-stick frying pan until medium hot. Cook patties over medium heat, for 6 minutes on each side. Avoid high heat as the beetroot will caramelise and can easily burn. Set aside for a couple of minutes before serving.
- While the burgers are cooking prepare the side salad by combining all ingredients together.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Yield: 10-12 mini burger patties
If you like this, check out my Eat Drink Paleo Cookbook for more delicious paleo recipes, introduction to paleo nutrition and philosophy and a handy inventory of foods to focus on and avoid. Available on my website and on Amazon.com.