This is my default mushroom recipe – it’s super easy, quick and you can make it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I love a combination of thyme, garlic and lemon and it goes superbly well with mushrooms. You can use any kind of mushrooms, I used the most common white button mushrooms.
If the mushrooms are quite small, I like to use them whole, but you can also slice them or cut them in half. It may seem like a lot of mushrooms when you start but they will shrink in size while cooking. They will also release a bit of juice at the start but that will dry up as you keep cooking them over medium-high heat.
Here is a little video of how I make these pan-fried mushrooms. You can find more of my videos here.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 300-350 g / 10-11oz button mushrooms
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon or so of butter or ghee
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme (leaves or whole sprigs)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large skillet or a frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until they have browned off nicely on one side. They will also start to shrink slightly and release some liquid. Flip them over and cook for 2 more minutes on the other side. At this stage, we don't want to stir them too much as we want to get a nice, golden brown colour.
- Once the mushrooms have browned off, add the lemon zest, butter, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook together for a minute or two, stirring a couple of times. Finally, drizzle with lemon juice and toss through one more time.
P.S. Have you checked out the Happy Body Formula? My 9-week paleo program comes with nutritionist-approved meal plans, tasty recipes, shopping lists, dedicated coach, learning tools and a tracking app, that will help you detox and reset, lose weight and get a happy body.
+ Want to try paleo for 7 days? Download my FREE 7-Day Eat Better Challenge meal plan.
Share this recipe on Pinterest!