With its bright colours, fresh aromas and zingy flavours, this superfood loaded chicken kale salad is a nutritional powerhouse. If you didn’t know how to eat kale in a salad before, this will be a great master recipe that you can mix and adapt using different ingredients. It’s also one of those meals that can be eaten for lunch or dinner, and is great to take to a BBQ or serve at a dinner party.
What’s good about it: Turmeric, used to flavour the chicken, contains an active ingredient curcumin, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. Together with quercetin in parsley, these guys are great for gut healing, which in turn improves nutrient absorption from other foods. Kale and broccoli contain powerful skin loving and immunity-boosting vitamin C, and avocado and pumpkin seeds are full of vitamin E, which together form a powerful antioxidant team. And don’t forget about the healing and regenerative zinc in pumpkin seeds (we need this for proper digestion and new cell growth) and liver loving D-glucarate, sulphur and B vitamins found in the foods of this salad.
- 1 teaspoon ghee or 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ medium brown onion, diced
- 250-300 g / 9 oz. chicken mince or diced up chicken thighs
- 1 large garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1teaspoon lime zest
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon salt + pepper
- 6 broccolini stalks or 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 3 large kale leaves, stems removed and chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced
- handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely diced or grated
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used 1 tablespoons avocado oil and 2 tablespoons EVO)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt and pepper
- Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until golden. Add the chicken mince and garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat, breaking it apart.
- Add the turmeric, lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for a further 3-4 minutes. Set the cooked mince aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Add the broccolini and cook for 2 minutes. Rinse under cold water and cut into 3-4 pieces each.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to the frying pan from the chicken and toast over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Season with a little salt. Set aside. Raw pumpkin seeds are also fine to use.
- Place chopped kale in a salad bowl and pour over the dressing. Using your hands, toss and massage the kale with the dressing. This will soften the kale, kind of like what citrus juice does to fish or beef carpaccio – it ‘cooks’ it slightly.
- Finally toss through the cooked chicken, broccolini, fresh herbs, pumpkin seeds and avocado slices.
Hope you enjoy this gorgeous salad! Let me know what you think in the comments below. Don’t forget to share with friends and family, or bookmark it for later on Pinterest from here. And if you’re gonna snap it for Instagram, make sure to tag @eatdrinkpaleo so I can find it.
Join my email newsletter and receive a FREE 7-day paleo meal plan using the recipes from my site.