Cook’s notes: If preparing ahead of time, dress the salad 10 minutes before serving. Chicken can be replaced with beef mince, chopped prawns or fish. Vegetarians could use chopped mushrooms or cooked quinoa.
For the chicken
- 1 teaspoon ghee or 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ medium brown onion, diced
- 250-300 g / 9 oz. chicken mince or diced up chicken thighs
- 1 large garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1teaspoon lime zest
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon salt + pepper
For the salad
- 6 broccolini stalks or 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 3 large kale leaves, stems removed and chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced
- handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely diced or grated
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used 1 tablespoons avocado oil and 2 tablespoons EVO)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt and pepper
- Heat the ghee or coconut oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until golden. Add the chicken mince and garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat, breaking it apart.
- Add the turmeric, lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for a further 3-4 minutes. Set the cooked mince aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Add the broccolini and cook for 2 minutes. Rinse under cold water and cut into 3-4 pieces each.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to the frying pan from the chicken and toast over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Season with a little salt. Set aside. Raw pumpkin seeds are also fine to use.
- Place chopped kale in a salad bowl and pour over the dressing. Using your hands, toss and massage the kale with the dressing. This will soften the kale, kind of like what citrus juice does to fish or beef carpaccio – it ‘cooks’ it slightly.
- Finally toss through the cooked chicken, broccolini, fresh herbs, pumpkin seeds and avocado slices.