Recipe: Whole Baked Trout With Zesty Dressing
Do you find buying and cooking whole fish intimidating? Hopefully, this recipe will encourage you to get some lovely whole fish next time you’re visiting your local fishmonger. Not only is it extremely nutritious – Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12, minerals and protein -but it’s also very easy to make and you will have a dinner ready in 30 minutes….just like Jamie Oliver. Enjoy!
Cook’s note: You can use any other whole fish like snapper barramundi instead of trout. While the fish is cooking in the oven, prepare a large mixed salad or pan-fry broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and snow peas with some coconut oil, garlic, chili and verjuice or white wine. I also add a dollop of butter at the end.
- 2 half kilo trouts
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and roughly diced
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- A handful of fresh parsley
- A few mint leaves
- A few fresh thyme leaves (optional but adds a nice earthy flavour)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (slice the rest to put on top of the fish)
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp Celtic salt or Sea Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (390°F).
- Combine everything but the fish in a food processor or a blender and process into a salsa like consistency.
- Cover fish with the herb marinade on both sides and a little inside the fish cavity. Add a few lemon slices on top of the fish. Place in a deep roasting tray and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, on the middle shelf.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Number of servings: 2-4 (depends on how hungry you are and other side dishes)